πŸ‘ House Of Witnesses Free preview | Chapter One

 

Welcome to House Of Witnesses.

Below is the first chapter of Book One, offered free for anyone who wants to step inside Clara's world and discover where the witnessing begins.

Begin Chapter One.


Chapter One | Good Girl

I woke before the house did, though I had never been entirely certain that it slept.

There was a difference, I had learned, between silence and stillness, and our house preferred the latter. Silence suggested absence, something unfinished or waiting to be filled, but stillness felt deliberate, like a condition that had been arranged and then maintained. When I opened my eyes, the air already held that quality, as if the rooms beyond mine had settled themselves into place long before I had joined them.

The light in my room was thin and gray, the kind that came slowly through the curtains without fully committing to morning. February made everything feel slightly unfinished that way, as though the day had not yet decided whether it wanted to begin. I lay there for a moment longer than I should have, watching the edge of the curtain move faintly where it met the wall, though I could not feel any draft. The house did that sometimes, shifted in ways that did not fully reach you.

I sat up carefully, not because there was anything fragile about the movement, but because I had learned that the first sounds of the morning mattered. Floors carried things. Doors remembered how they were handled. Even the smallest interruption could travel further than it should, and it was easier to begin the day in a way that did not require correction later.

My feet found the floor without hesitation, landing in the same place they always did. The boards there were smoother than the rest, worn down just enough to feel familiar beneath my weight. I paused, listening without meaning to, the way I always did before leaving my room. There were no voices yet, no movement in the hall beyond my door, only the quiet presence of the house holding itself together.

That was good.

I crossed the room and pulled the curtains back just enough to let in more light, careful not to disturb the tie that held them neatly at the sides. My mother liked things to remain as they had been arranged, even in small ways. It was not something she said often, but it was something she noticed. And noticing, in our house, was rarely neutral.

The mirror above my dresser caught me at an angle I hadn’t intended, and I adjusted slightly until I was facing it properly. My hair had shifted in the night, though not enough to be called messy. I ran my fingers through it once, then again more deliberately, smoothing it down along the sides until it lay the way it was supposed to. There were brushes for that, of course, and I would use one in a moment, but there was something about beginning with my hands that felt quieter, less like a declaration.

I did not linger there. It was easy to become distracted in small, unnecessary ways, and mornings did not allow for that. There was a structure to them, one that had been the same for as long as I could remember, and it was better to move within it than to think too much about it. Thinking often led to questions, and questions had a way of making things heavier than they needed to be.

I dressed in the same sequence I always did, each movement familiar enough that I did not have to look down to follow it. The fabric was cool at first, then warmed quickly against my skin, settling into place as though it belonged there. When I finished, I smoothed the front of my shirt with both hands, pressing out a crease that likely no one else would have noticed, and then checked the collar twice to be sure it sat evenly against my neck.

It was easier to correct things before they were seen.

When I finally opened my door, I did so slowly, easing it inward just enough to slip through before closing it behind me with the same care. The hallway beyond was dimmer than my room, the light from the windows at the far end not yet strong enough to reach all the way through. The walls held onto the night longer there, keeping the space cool and slightly muted in a way that made sound feel sharper.

I stepped into it without hesitation, though my body adjusted on its own, my pace measured, my shoulders settling into a posture that felt appropriate for the space. It was not something I thought about consciously. It had simply become the way I moved.

The house revealed itself in pieces as I went.

The faint scent of something warm coming from the kitchen, though no one had spoken yet.

The soft, rhythmic sound of water moving somewhere deeper in the pipes, steady enough to suggest it had been running for a while.

A floorboard near the turn of the hall that shifted slightly beneath my weight, not loudly, but enough that I avoided it the next step without needing to look down.

None of it was unusual. Not on its own.

At the end of the hall, the staircase opened downward into the main part of the house, the banister smooth beneath my hand as I moved along it. The wood there was older than the rest, darker in tone, worn in places where hands had rested too many times to count. I had always liked that about it, though I had never said so. It felt like something that had remained consistent, even when other things changed.

The lower floor was brighter, though the light there felt more controlled, filtered through curtains that were always drawn just enough to soften it. The living room sat just beyond the base of the stairs, arranged the way it always was, chairs placed with intention, surfaces cleared of anything unnecessary, the small framed verses along the walls positioned at even intervals as though they had been measured.

My mother was already there.

She stood near the window, adjusting the tie on one of the curtains with a careful attention that made it difficult to tell whether it had needed adjusting at all. Her movements were precise, her posture relaxed in a way that still managed to look deliberate. When she turned slightly at the sound of my steps, her expression softened, not in surprise, but in recognition.

“You’re up early,” she said, her voice quiet enough that it did not disturb the stillness of the room.

“I woke up,” I answered, which was not exactly an explanation, but it was enough.

She watched me for a moment longer than necessary, her eyes moving briefly over my face, my hair, the line of my shoulders, as though taking inventory of something she did not name. It was not an uncomfortable feeling, not entirely. It was simply familiar.

“That’s good,” she said after a moment, her attention returning to the curtain. “Mornings are easier when we begin them properly.”

I nodded, though she was no longer looking at me.

There was a right way to begin things. That had always been true.

From the kitchen, something shifted, a soft clink, followed by the faint scrape of a chair. My father did not announce himself the way other people did. His presence moved through the house in quieter ways, carried more by effect than by sound. When he entered a room, it did not change suddenly. It settled.

I felt it before I saw him.

“Clara,” he said from the doorway, his voice even, not loud, but clear enough that it did not need to be repeated.

I turned toward him immediately. “Yes.”

He stood with one hand resting lightly against the frame, his posture straight without appearing rigid. There was nothing in his expression that suggested displeasure, but there was also nothing that invited ease. He looked at me the way he looked at most things-steadily, without interruption, as though waiting for them to reveal whether they were as they should be.

“You’re prepared for the morning,” he said.

It was not a question.

“Yes,” I said again.

He nodded once, a small, contained motion that felt like acknowledgment rather than approval, and then stepped fully into the room. The space adjusted around him without needing to move. My mother did not look up immediately, but I saw the way her shoulders shifted, just slightly, as though aligning with something.

“We’ll begin shortly,” he said.

There was a pause, brief but deliberate.

“Make sure your spirit is settled before we do.”

I lowered my eyes, not out of uncertainty, but because it was the appropriate response. “Yes.”

He moved past me then, toward the kitchen, his steps measured in a way that made it difficult to track exactly where he was without looking. I did not turn to follow him. I remained where I was, my hands resting lightly at my sides, aware of my breathing in a way that made it feel louder than it was.

My spirit.

I considered the phrase without meaning to, turning it over just enough to be sure it did not contain anything I had missed. There were ways to be unsettled that did not always feel like disruption, and it was better to account for them early, before they became visible.

“I’ll set the table,” I said quietly, though no one had asked me to.

My mother glanced at me again, her expression unchanged. “That would be helpful.”

Helpful was good.

I moved into the kitchen without waiting for anything further, my steps falling into the same pattern they always did as I crossed the threshold. The room was warmer than the rest of the house, the air carrying the faint scent of something already prepared, though I could not see what it was yet. The counters were clear, the surfaces clean in a way that suggested they had been wiped recently, even if there was no evidence of what had been there before.

Everything was where it belonged.

I reached for the plates without hesitation, setting them down one by one in their usual places, aligning them carefully with the edges of the table as I went. The movement was simple, repetitive in a way that made it easy to follow without thinking too much about it. That was part of why I liked it. There was comfort in doing something that did not require interpretation.

Behind me, I could hear my parents moving in the other room, their voices low enough that the words did not carry, only the cadence of them. It blended into the sound of the house itself-the pipes, the faint shift of air through the vents, the small, unremarkable noises that filled the space without drawing attention to themselves.

I placed the last glass down and adjusted it slightly so it aligned with the others, then stepped back to look at the table as a whole. There was a balance to it when it was done correctly, a sense that everything had been considered and placed with intention.

It looked right.

I let my hands rest against the back of one of the chairs, just for a moment, grounding myself in the shape of it, the solidness of something that did not change depending on how you looked at it.

From somewhere deeper in the house, a sound moved through the pipes-faint, uneven, gone almost as soon as I noticed it.

I didn’t turn.

It wasn’t anything. The house made sounds sometimes.

It always had.

My mother stepped back from the counter, her hands smoothing together as though she had been preparing for that moment already. I moved toward the living room without waiting to be told. It was easier that way.

The house felt quieter as we gathered, though I could still hear small things if I listened, the faint hum of the pipes behind the walls, the soft shift of wood settling somewhere above us. They were ordinary sounds. They had always been there.

We knelt where we always did.

Prayer in our house was not loud. It was careful and measured. Every word placed where it belonged, nothing added, nothing taken away. I kept my voice even when it was my turn, matching the rhythm I had learned, making sure not to rush or pause in the wrong places.

I was aware, while I spoke, of the way silence followed each sentence, as though it was being listened to more than it was being said.

When I finished, I kept my hands folded and my head bowed, the way I was supposed to.

I did not look up.

I did not move. I waited until I felt that it was right to stop waiting.

We did not rise from prayer all at once. It happened in a quiet sequence, as though even standing required agreement. My father lifted his head first, then my mother followed, and I waited a moment longer than both of them before moving, just to be certain I had not done it too soon. There was a right timing to things like that. I had never been told what it was, but I had learned to feel when I was close to it.

The room shifted back into itself once we stood, the stillness loosening slightly, though not enough to feel relaxed. It never felt relaxed. My mother moved toward the kitchen again without needing to say anything, and I followed her because that was what came next. It always came next.

Breakfast was prepared quickly, though it never appeared rushed. Plates were set down in the same order they always were, each one placed with quiet precision, as though the table had a structure of its own that we were not meant to disturb. I took my seat when my father did, folding my hands briefly in my lap before resting them beside my plate. I kept my back straight. That mattered.

There was very little speaking during breakfast. There didn’t need to be. The quiet felt intentional, like part of the meal itself, something we participated in rather than something that simply happened. The sound of utensils against ceramic was soft and controlled, never sharp enough to interrupt the space between us.

My mother watched us in a way that didn’t feel like watching at first. She ate with us, her movements just as measured as ours, but her attention seemed to move between us without settling anywhere for too long. I felt it when it reached me, though she never held my gaze directly. It was something softer than that, something that stayed just outside of being seen.

“You’ll want to be mindful today,” she said after a while, her voice gentle, almost thoughtful.

I looked up slightly, not enough to meet her eyes fully. “Yes.”

She gave a small nod, as though that was the correct response, though she had not explained what I was meant to be mindful of. She rarely did. The instruction itself seemed to be enough.

My father finished eating before either of us, setting his utensils down with a quiet finality that felt more like a signal than a habit. My mother’s attention shifted to him immediately, subtle but complete, as though something in the room had been redirected.

“There will be extra time for reflection this evening,” he said, not looking at either of us in particular. “It would be wise to use it well.”

“Yes,” my mother said.

I repeated it a moment later. “Yes.”

He stood, and the room seemed to follow the movement, the quiet adjusting itself around the absence he left behind as he walked out. I did not watch him go, though I was aware of the sound of his footsteps moving down the hall, steady and even until they disappeared.

For a moment, it was just my mother and me.

She continued eating as though nothing had changed, though I could feel something in the room shift again, softer this time, less defined. When she finally looked at me, it was with the same calm expression she always carried, though there was something beneath it that I could not quite name.

“You’ve been doing well,” she said.

The words settled in a way that felt heavier than they should have. I nodded, unsure if anything else was expected. “Thank you.”

She watched me for a moment, then smiled, a small, contained expression that did not quite reach her eyes but still felt like approval.

“It’s important to remain consistent,” she continued. “A good disposition isn’t something you visit when it’s convenient. It’s something you maintain.”

“Yes.”

I wasn’t sure what part of me she was speaking to, but I understood that she was speaking to something.

She finished her meal shortly after, setting her utensils down in the same quiet way my father had, though without the same sense of finality. When she stood, I stood with her, gathering the plates without needing to be asked. That was my role. It had always been my role.

At the sink, the water ran warm over my hands as I began to wash, the steady sound filling the space between us. My mother remained nearby, not assisting, but not leaving either. She rarely left during this part. I could feel her presence even when I did not look at her, the way the air seemed slightly different when she was there.

“You want to be careful with your thoughts,” she said after a while, her voice quieter now, as though it was meant only for me.

I slowed slightly, just enough to show I was listening. “Yes.”

“They shape more than you realize,” she added. “And not everything that comes to mind is meant to be kept.”

I nodded again, though I wasn’t sure which thoughts she meant.

The water continued to run, the plates clean beneath my hands. I focused on the rhythm of it, the repetition, the way each movement followed the last without interruption. It was easier that way.

After a moment, she stepped closer, reaching past me to adjust the position of one of the cups I had already set aside. It had been clean. I was sure of it. But she turned it slightly, aligning it with the others in a way that made something about the arrangement feel more complete.

“There,” she said softly.

I looked at it, though I could not see the difference in the way she seemed to.

“Yes.”

She rested her hand lightly against the edge of the counter, watching the sink for a moment longer before stepping back again. The space she left behind felt noticeable, though nothing in the room had changed.

When I finished, I dried my hands carefully and set the cloth back where it belonged, smoothing it once, then again, until it lay flat.

My mother nodded, satisfied.

“Go get ready for school,” she said. “You don’t want to rush.”

“No,” I said.

I left the kitchen quietly, stepping back into the hallway where everything was still exactly as it had been before, the frames straight, the floor shining faintly beneath the low light. For a moment, I stood there, not moving, listening without meaning to.

The house was quiet again.

But not empty.

Getting ready for school followed the same quiet order as everything else, though it always felt slightly different from the rest of the morning, as if it existed just outside the house’s control without ever fully leaving it. I returned to my room and closed the door behind me, not all the way at first, then gently until it settled into place without sound. I stood there for a moment longer than necessary, my hand still resting on the handle, listening.

There was nothing unusual to hear. Only the familiar stillness, the faint hum of the house carrying itself through the walls.

My room looked exactly as I had left it. It always did. The bed was neatly made, the corners tucked in with a precision my mother had shown me years ago and expected me to maintain without reminder. The curtains were tied back evenly, letting in a pale, washed-out morning light that did not quite reach the far corners. Everything had its place. Everything remained in it.

I moved through the space quietly, changing into my uniform with the same careful attention I gave to everything else. The fabric felt smooth and structured against my skin, sitting where it was meant to sit, not too loose, not too tight. I adjusted the collar once, then again, until it felt right, though I could not have explained what right meant. It was something I felt more than understood, a sense that the smallest misplacement could be noticed even if no one said anything.

At the mirror, I paused.

I did not look at myself immediately. I adjusted my hair first, smoothing it back the way my mother preferred, making sure there were no loose strands, no uneven parts. My hands moved carefully, lightly, as though too much pressure might undo something I could not see. When I finished, I looked up.

For a moment, I did not recognize what felt unfamiliar.

Then I realized there was nothing unfamiliar at all. I looked the same as I always did.

I held my own gaze for a second longer than usual, searching for something without knowing what it was. There was a stillness in my expression that felt correct, something practiced into place over time. I tilted my head slightly, then straightened it again.

It was enough.

I turned away.

When I stepped back into the hallway, the house had settled again, as though my absence had been noted and then quietly corrected. The air felt the same as before; still, measured, holding something just beneath it that I could never quite reach. I walked toward the front of the house, my steps light against the floor, careful not to disturb the quiet more than necessary.

My mother was waiting near the door.

She stood with her hands folded loosely in front of her, her posture relaxed but exact, as though she had been placed there rather than having chosen to stand. When she saw me, her eyes moved over me once, the same gentle, assessing glance she had given me in the kitchen. I felt it settle over my shoulders, my posture, my face.

She smiled.

“Turn for me,” she said softly.

I did.

It was a small movement, slow and controlled, the fabric of my uniform shifting slightly as I turned and then faced her again. She stepped closer, reaching out to adjust the edge of my sleeve, then the line of my collar, her fingers light but precise.

“You want to present yourself properly,” she said. “It reflects more than just you.”

“Yes.”

She smoothed her hand once more over my shoulder, then let it fall back to her side. For a moment, she looked at me as though she was about to say something else, something quieter, but instead she only nodded.

“You’ll go straight to school,” she said. “No unnecessary stops.”

“Yes, Mother.”

Her expression shifted again, just slightly, and I corrected myself before she needed to.

“Yes.”

That was better.

She opened the door for me, and the outside air moved in gently, cooler than the house, carrying a faint brightness that felt almost unfamiliar after the dimness inside. I stepped forward, crossing the threshold without hesitation, though I felt something in my chest tighten as I did, something small and automatic.

“Clara,” she said, just before I could move too far.

I turned back.

“Be mindful,” she added, her voice soft, the same way it had been in the kitchen. “You are always being shaped, even when you don’t see it.”

I nodded, though I wasn’t sure what that meant in that moment. “Yes.”

She smiled again, satisfied, and closed the door behind me with a quiet, final sound that seemed louder once it was finished.

For a moment, I stood there on the front step, the house at my back, the street stretching out ahead of me in a way that felt wider than it should have. The air outside moved differently, less contained, though I still found myself standing the same way, holding the same posture, as if the house had followed me out.

I started walking.

I did not look back.

THE WITNESSING HAS ONLY BEGUN.

House Of Witnesses
Book One of the House Of Witnesses series

Want to continue?
Chapter Two is also available to read for free.
#Makitia #MindsInDesign #HouseOfWitnesses #TheMidUniverse #MID #MakitiaThompson #ChambersOfTheWitnessed #WitnessUniverse

Comments