πŸ‘ Welcome To House Of Witnesses

 

What if the world you were taught to trust was built on a lie?

There are some stories that ask you to follow a character.

And then there are stories that ask you to look closer.

To question what you’re seeing.

To wonder what exists behind the walls, beneath the floor, inside the records, and within the stories people have been told for generations.

House Of Witnesses is the latter.

If you’ve found your way here through my writing on Medium and haven’t encountered the series before, consider this your invitation.

Welcome to the world of House Of Witnesses.

So, what is House Of Witnesses?

At its heart, House Of Witnesses is a horror dystopian series about obedience, identity, control, memory, belief, and what happens when one person begins asking questions that were never meant to be asked.

The story begins in a society that appears orderly.

Controlled.

Safe.

There are rules for everything. There are institutions that have existed for generations. There are traditions people accept without questioning because they have always been there.

And at the center of it all is the Chapel Of Witness.

The Chapel isn’t simply a religious institution.

It is part of the structure of the world itself.

Its teachings have shaped families. Its beliefs have shaped identities. Its influence reaches further than most people realize.

And somewhere within that carefully constructed world is a girl who begins to notice that something isn’t right.

Her name is Clara.

Meet Clara

Clara isn’t introduced as someone who has all the answers.

She doesn’t.

That’s important.

She is observant. She notices things. She remembers things. She asks questions. But noticing something and understanding what it means are two very different things.

And Clara spends much of the beginning of this story caught somewhere between those two places.

She is trying to understand the world she has been given while slowly realizing that the world itself may be hiding something from her.

What makes Clara’s journey so important to me is that she isn’t simply fighting against something she already understands.

She’s discovering it alongside you.

Every answer creates another question. Every truth seems to have something behind it. And the further Clara goes, the harder it becomes to separate what she has been taught from what is actually true.

I wanted that feeling to reach the reader too.

I don’t want you standing outside Clara’s story, watching her figure everything out.

I want you wondering with her.

But the story is bigger than Clara.

This is one of the things I love most about House Of Witnesses.

It begins intimately.

One girl.

One world.

One growing sense that something is wrong.

But the deeper the story goes, the larger the questions become.

The Chapel has a history.

The Witnesses have a history.

Families have histories.

There are records, beliefs, names, traditions, places, documents, and stories that existed long before Clara ever began looking for answers.

Some of those things matter more than she realizes.

Some of them have been deliberately forgotten.

And some things are still waiting to be discovered.

That’s why I don’t think of House Of Witnesses as simply one horror story stretched across multiple books.

It’s a world that gradually reveals itself.

The further you go, the more pieces there are to put together.

The books

Each book changes the scale of the story in its own way.

What begins with Clara’s experience eventually reaches far beyond the place where she started.

The world expands.

The questions change.

The stakes change.

And so does the meaning of being a witness.

I won’t tell you where it goes.

That’s part of the fun.

There are things I would rather let you discover than explain here.

And then there are the things between the books.

One of the most exciting parts of building this series has been realizing that the story doesn’t have to stop when a novel ends.

That’s where the companion projects come in.

On my website, makitiabooks.com, I’m building material that allows readers to explore parts of the House Of Witnesses universe that don’t necessarily belong inside the main novels.

There are companion books.

Fragments.

Character-focused material.

Author notes.

Worldbuilding.

Additional stories.

And pieces connected to the history and mythology of the world.

Some of these projects explore things that the novels only have room to touch.

Others allow me to present the world in completely different ways.

And some are designed to feel like you’ve stumbled across something you weren’t necessarily supposed to find.

That last part is particularly important to me.

Because House Of Witnesses is a story about discovering things.

I want some of the companion material to feel like discovery too. You shouldn’t need every companion project to understand the main story.

But if you become the kind of reader who wants to look behind every door.

There will be doors.

There is a Book Of Witness.

Of course, I can’t talk about this world without mentioning The Book Of Witness.

It is one of the central pieces of the mythology surrounding the Chapel.

But I don’t want to tell you exactly why.

Not yet.

What I will say is that the Book Of Witness became important enough to the world that I eventually wanted to explore it beyond the novels themselves.

That idea helped inspire a series of companion fragments built around portions of the text and the history surrounding it.

They’re not meant to replace the novels.

They’re meant to deepen the experience of them.

Because sometimes the most interesting thing about a fictional world isn’t the story you’re being told.

It’s the document you find sitting beside it.

Why build a world this big?

Because I’ve always loved the feeling of discovering that a story is bigger than you first believed.

You think you’re reading about one thing.

Then you notice something.

A name.
A phrase.
A symbol.
A document.

A strange detail that doesn’t seem important at first.

And eventually you realize:

Oh.

That mattered.

That’s the experience I want House Of Witnesses to create.

I don’t want every mystery explained immediately. I don’t want every strange detail neatly wrapped up. I want the world to have history. I want it to have contradictions.

I want there to be things readers can notice before Clara understands them.

And I want different readers to walk away with different questions.

Because sometimes the best horror doesn’t come from being told what to fear.

It comes from realizing that you’ve been looking at something frightening for a very long time without recognizing it.

If you’re new here…

You don’t need to know the mythology. You don’t need to know the history of the Chapel. You don’t need to have read anything beforehand. You can simply begin with House Of Witnesses.

And then follow Clara.

Start with what she knows.

Notice what she notices.

Question what she questions.

And see how far the story takes you.

The first four novels are available through Amazon, and the series is also available through my website.

Read House Of Witnesses on Amazon

You can also find the main novels, companion projects, and additional material from the world of House Of Witnesses at Makitiabooks.

One last thing.

If you’re the kind of reader who likes knowing everything immediately, this might not be the story for you.

But if you like mysteries that unfold slowly…

If you like discovering that a seemingly small detail has a much larger meaning…

If you like stories where the world itself feels like something you have to investigate…

If you like horror that leaves you with questions after you’ve turned the page…

Then I think you might want to step inside.

There is much more to House Of Witnesses than I can explain in one Medium post.

And honestly?

I don’t want to explain it all.

I want you to discover it.

The doors are open.

Welcome to the House.

Comments